Every house with a garage at some point will have a broken garage door or opener that prevents opening and closing. Garages are often used to enter the home and because of this having a routine to inspect the various parts of your garage and opener is a great idea. Once something goes wrong, it’s best to know what to look for to find the problem and fix it yourself or call a local professional garage door repair company.
Over the years our technicians have diagnosed and repaired thousands of garage doors and openers. Here are 5 common reasons your door garage door or opener stops working properly.
5 Things to Check for a Broken Garage Door or Opener
- The opener remote no longer opens and closes the door – Is the opener plugged in the outlet? Make sure the power cord has not become unplugged. Also, verify the remote has a good battery plus check your garage remote user manual about the sensor settings.
- The garage opens on its own – Is there another remote someone else is using? If not, make sure and check the opener wiring for any loose connections. Use the manual to troubleshoot further and reset opener if needed. If the door continues to open by itself, call a garage repair service technician for help.
- Garage door gets jammed when opening or closing – Is there anything blocking the sensor? Keep the path of the door clear. Also, check for a broken spring. Lubricate moving parts if needed.
- The door makes loud noises, and squeaky sounds – Check rollers, hinges, and bearings and lubricate if needed. A broken spring or opener also causes loud noises.
- The garage door doesn’t open or close completely – Tracks get damaged and bent. Straighten out bends to fix this. Also, check for a damaged or broken spring.
Garage doors and openers don’t last forever, but with regular maintenance, you can extend their life-span. If none of the above tips to find and fix your door or opener didn’t work, give us a call. Our garage door technicians are rated 5 stars by Yelp and we repair and service all makes and models of doors and openers. Our greater Austin technicians will fix your broken garage door or opener fast and on the same day if needed.